Tuesday 26 August 2008

End-of-life care for COPD patients

End-of-life care for COPD patients.
Primary care respiratory journal : journal of the General Practice Airways Group, Mar 2008, vol. 17, no. 1
p. 46-50
Dean-Mervyn-M.
Abstract
Patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) receive poor end-of-life (EoL) care, in part because their disease course is not predictable. If the family physician would not be surprised at the patient's death within a year, then EoL issues should be raised for discussion. Embarking on such a discussion has the potential to enhance the patient's quality of life and EoL care, thereby avoiding unnecessary treatments or interventions. An Advance Health Care Directive can be useful. Appropriately-used systemic (not nebulised) opioids are safe and effective for managing dyspnoea. The family physician is in an excellent position to provide comprehensive EoL care for COPD patients.

2 comments:

Ethan Tara said...

I had COPD for over three years, I was beyond scared! but sometimes I think is God prodigy that I was able to treat my COPD but multivitamincare .org herbal remedies has a big impact on my recovery. My lung function test indicated 44% capacity. After having had flu as well, the shortness of breath, coughing and chest pains continued even after being treated with antibiotics. I've been smoking two packs a day for 36 years. The problem was having is that I enjoy smoking and don't want to give up! Have tried twice before and nearly went crazy and don't want to go through that again. I saw the fear in my family eyes when I told them about my condition then they start to find solution on their own to help my condition.I am an 59 now who was diagnose COPD emphysema which I know was from my years of smoking. I started smoking in school when smoking was socially acceptable. I remember when smoking was permitted in hospitals. It was not known then how dangerous cigarettes were for us, and it seemed everybody smoked but i was able to get rid of my COPD lung condition through the help of total cure herbal foundation my husband bought, Multivitamin Herbal Care has the right herbal formula to help you get rid and repair your lungs and cure you totally with their natural organic herbs. I wish anybody who starts smoking at a young age would realize what will eventually happen to their bodies if they continue that vile habit throughout their life,it advisable to always try natural herbs at first because www .multivitamincare .org neutralize my COPD which surprise everyone at home.

Florence said...


I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their email at ultimatehealthhome@gmail.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!